Skipped a week or two ...

Post date: Oct 23, 2011 11:37:12 PM

Or did I?

I spent some of last week rewriting the tunnel game as the initial reactions to the game were good, and bought the android license for unity. Erk. It's all a little broken as I had to essentially rewrite it and redo all the assets, and I got hung up on the control method. Still, I have ideas for that.

This weekend, I put some time aside for tools writing. I had earlier in the week been chatting to a chap (SteamPunk) on the unity3d channel on freenode who was doing a space game. As my big-huge-project-that-I-need-to-do is also a space game what he was looking for oddly coincided with mine. We had been given a link on procedural-based ship building (project description , webgl demo) by another chap on the channel (SuperPig).

After a little digging I found the source of the model parts, found an updated version and set to work writing something to extract umpteen (220ish) models from the original blend file. Okay, so I cheated and wrote an .obj group extractor instead. Alas quite a lot of normals are messed up, but I can deal with that. So here's the result. The android apk is a straight conversion of the webplayer, so don't expect it to behave fantastically.